The Leaving Certificate Applied is a two-year Leaving Certificate, available to students who wish to follow a practical or vocationally orientated programme.
The word "applied" is used because the programme is designed to allow the students to apply the learning and experience they gain over the two years of the programme to practical educational tasks at school, in the workplace and in the wider community.
What is different about the Leaving Certificate Applied?
The Leaving Certificate Applied is different in a number of ways:
- It is a distinct and self contained programme made up of a number of courses
- It is a practical programme that makes wide use of active and student-centred learning methodologies.
- It includes seven Student Tasks that bring together the different learning experiences that the students have gained from the courses they have taken.
- It uses a unique system of assessment. The students` work is a ssessed over the two years of the programme and they gain credits as they go along. Practicals, interviews and terminal written papers are among the different forms of assessment used. The students` communication, problem solving and practical skills are also assessed.
How are students awarded credits?
As students complete their Leaving Certificate Applied course work they collect credits. It is possible to collect a total of 200 credits, a maximum of 62 credits are awarded for completing the required courses, 70 credits for the seven Student Tasks completed over the two years, and 68 credits for the examinations at the end of Year 2. The Leaving Certificate Applied is awarded at three levels.
Pass: 120-139 Credits (60% - 69%)
Merit: 140-169 Credits (70% - 84%)
Distinction: 170-200 Credits (85% - 100%)
The programme is divided into three main areas:
(1) Vocational Preparation
- Vocational Preparation and Guidance (Including Work Experience)
- English and Communications
(2) Vocational Education
- Mathematical Applications
- 2 Vocational Specialisims (i) Information Technology, (ii) Hotel Catering and Tourism.
(3) General Education
- Arts Education - Visual Art
- Social Education
- Languages: Gaeilge in Year 1, Modern European Language (Spanish) in Year 2.
- Leisure and Recreation
- 4 Elective Modules (2 in year 1 and 2 in year 2): Religion and Hair & Beauty in Year 1, Religion and Childcare in Year 2.
When Leaving Cert Applied was introduced in 2004/5 students participating in it were interviewed to get their reaction to the new course. If you want to hear their views and learn more about this course read the LCA section in the Student page in the menus above.